FRITZ!Box 3370 Service - Knowledge Base
Wireless connection is only established with 195 Mbit/s instead of 450 Mbit/s
When your wireless device (for example a notebook, smartphone, game console) establishes wireless connections (WiFi) to the FRITZ!Box according to the wireless standard 802.11n, the throughput does not exceed 195 Mbit/s.
- A throughput of 450 Mbit/s can only be achieved when channels with a bandwidth of 40 MHz are used. Some wireless devices do not support channel widths of 40 MHz or only support them in the 5 GHz frequency band.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Configuring the wireless device to use 40 MHz channels
Perform the following step if the computer's wireless network adapter or the wireless device supports wireless channels with bandwidths of 40 MHz:
Note:You can find information on configuring the device in its manual, or consult its manufacturer directly.
- Configure the wireless network adapter or the wireless device so that it uses wireless channels with bandwidths of 40 MHz.
You can configure many Intel wireless network adapters for channels with bandwidths of 40 MHz. In order to do so, call up the properties of the wireless network adapter in the Windows Device Manager and select "auto" for "802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4":
2 Establishing a wireless connection to the 5 GHz frequency band
As a rule, channel bandwidths of 40 MHz are supported in the 5 GHz frequency band. Therefore, switch to the 5 GHz frequency band if you are currently using the 2.4 GHz frequency band to establish the wireless connection, and the wireless network adapter or wireless device supports the 5 GHz frequency band:
Note:Not all wireless devices support the 5 GHz frequency band.
FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 430, FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 860 and FRITZ!WLAN Stick N (v2) support the 5 GHz frequency band.
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Radio Channel" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the option "Adjust radio channel settings".
- Click "Additional Settings".
- Select the standard "802.11n+a" from the "Wireless standard" drop-down list.
- Click "Apply" to save your settings.
- Re-establish the wireless connection to the FRITZ!Box.
3 Checking the event log of the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Event Log" in the "System" menu.
- Select "Wireless" from the drop-down list.
- Check whether the message "Wireless LAN transmission quality increased by reduced channel bandwidth [...]" is displayed.
- If the message is displayed: