FRITZ!Box 4020 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 4040
- FRITZ!Box 3490
- FRITZ!Box 3390
- FRITZ!Box 3370
- FRITZ!Box 3272
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick v2
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick N v2
Error message "Unidentified Network" in the Windows Network and Sharing Center
A Windows computer connected to the FRITZ!Box cannot access the internet. The computer's "Network and Sharing Center" displays the message "Unidentified Network".
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Enabling the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server
The FRITZ!Box is configured as a DHCP server in the factory settings. If you disabled the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server, configure the following settings:
Important:If the FRITZ!Box uses the internet connection of another router, then the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server is disabled. In this case, the upstream router must assign the necessary IP settings to the network devices.
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Configuring the computer as a DHCP client
To ensure that the computer always uses the correct IP settings, make sure that it is configured as a DHCP client (this is the standard setting for most operating systems):
- Configure the computer to automatically obtain IP settings (DHCP).
3 Configuring the computer's firewall
A firewall can interfere with the communication between the computer and the FRITZ!Box:
- Configure the firewall on the computer so that it allows connections from the computer to the FRITZ!Box. Refer to the manufacturer of the firewall for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.