FRITZ!Box 4040 Service - Knowledge Base
FRITZ!Box reports "Dynamic DNS: Account temporarily disabled"
The dynamic DNS account you configured in the FRITZ!Box cannot login with your dynamic DNS provider. The message "Dynamic DNS [...] Status: account temporarily disabled" is displayed on the overview page of the FRITZ!Box user interface. One of the following error messages may be displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box:
- "Dynamic DNS error: Dynamic DNS update is disabled until the dynamic DNS account information is changed."
- "Dynamic DNS error: The DynDNS provider reports error 401 - bad authorization."
- When errors indicating a permanent error with a dynamic DNS account occur, the FRITZ!Box disables the account according to the specifications of the dynamic DNS provider. Such errors include a missing public IP address, incorrect account information, or numerous registration attempts from different dynamic DNS clients. The account remains disabled until you re-enter the registration data in the FRITZ!Box.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
1 Checking whether a public IP address was obtained
You can only use a dynamic DNS service and access the FRITZ!Box from the internet if the FRITZ!Box establishes its own connection to the internet using a modem (for example a DSL or cable modem) and it obtains a public IPv4 address from your internet service provider:
Note:If your internet connection was already switched over to the Internet Protocol v6 (IPv6) and your dynamic DNS provider supports it, then the FRITZ!Box also transmits an IPv6 address to the dynamic DNS service.
- Check the address range of the IPv4 address that the internet service provider assigned to the FRITZ!Box.
Important:The FRITZ!Box is only accessible over IPv6 when used on a DS-Lite ("Dual-Stack Lite") connection, and not over IPv4. When DS-Lite is active, the status "IPv4 over DS Lite" is displayed under "Connections" on the "Overview" page of the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- If the FRITZ!Box obtained a public IPv4 address, proceed with the following section.
- If the FRITZ!Box obtained a private IP address, you cannot use a dynamic DNS account and access the FRITZ!Box from the internet.
2 Disabling other dynamic DNS clients
Errors occur if several devices transmit their IP address to the same dynamic DNS account. Therefore, make sure that the dynamic DNS account is only configured in the FRITZ!Box:
- Disable or delete the dynamic DNS account configured in the FRITZ!Box in all devices except for the FRITZ!Box, for example other routers, computers with DynDNS software, or NAS systems.
3 Re-entering the dynamic DNS account information
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Permit Access" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "DynDNS" tab.
- In the "Domain name" field, enter the complete domain name, for example mydomain.dyndns.org. Refer to the dynamic DNS provider for information on the format.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box transmits its current IP address to the dynamic DNS provider each time it connects to the internet.
4 Contacting your provider
If the dynamic DNS account is still deactivated in the FRITZ!Box, then the dynamic DNS registration data is incorrect or your dynamic DNS provider is experiencing technical difficulties.
- Contact your dynamic DNS provider for a solution.