FRITZ!Box 4040 Service - Knowledge Base
Updating FRITZ!OS manually
The Online Update function allows you to install the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box quickly and easily. However, in some cases you cannot use the online update function, for instance when the FRITZ!Box is not connected to the internet. In this case you can update it manually.
1 Downloading the FRITZ!OS file
First, download the FRITZ!OS file. If you cannot connect to the internet with your own FRITZ!Box, then you can download the file at your neighbor's or in an internet café, for example:
- Call up ftp://ftp.avm.de/fritzbox/ in your web browser.
- Switch to the folder for your FRITZ!Box model, then to the subfolder "deutschland" or "other", and then to the folder "fritz.os".
Note:The complete model name of your FRITZ!Box is displayed in the FRITZ!Box user interface on the "Overview" page and on the underside of the device.
- Download the file with the extension ".image" to the computer.
2 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Update" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "FRITZ!OS file" tab. If the tab is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Click "Save Settings".
Note:Save your FRITZ!Box settings again under "System > Backup" right after successfully completing the installation. Then you can always restore it to a working configuration.
- Click the "Browse..." or "Choose File" button.
- Select the FRITZ!OS file that you downloaded (image file).
- Click the "Start Update" button.
Now the latest FRITZ!OS is installed. If you enable the option "Notify me about new versions of FRITZ!OS and install new versions automatically" under "System > Update > Auto-Update" in the user interface, then future updates will be installed automatically.