FRITZ!Box 6490 Service - Knowledge Base
SMB versions supported by the FRITZ!Box
The FRITZ!Box supports version 1.0 of the network protocol SMB. Currently, the FRITZ!Box does not support versions 2 and 3 of the SMB protocol (SMB2, SMB3). We are working on implementing SMB3 support in FRITZ!OS and shall make it available in an update for the FRITZ!Box. We cannot give you a release date for the update yet.
Note:You can have the push service notify you by email when new updates are available. In addition, you can configure the FRITZ!Box so that new updates are installed automatically. You can enable these options under "System > Push Service" or "System > Update > Auto Update" in the user interface.
If you do not want to use SMB 1.0, you can simply use http://fritz.nas in a web browser to access USB storage devices connected to the FRITZ!Box. You can also use the FTP protocol to access the storage devices, for example with Cyberduck, FileZilla, or WinSCP.
If you uninstalled SMB 1.0 from your Windows computer, you can reinstall the protocol on it:
- Enter sys in the search box in the Windows taskbar and then select "Control Panel".
- Select "Category" from the drop-down list "View by:" on the top right ().
- Click "Programs" and then "Programs and Features".
- Click "Turn Windows features on or off".
- Enable the option "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" in the window "Windows Features" and click "OK".
- Click "Restart now" to complete the installation procedure.