FRITZ!Box 7490 Service - Knowledge Base
FRITZ!VPN reports "Registration at the 'FRITZ!VPN' service failed"
VPN connections configured with the FRITZ!VPN software are not displayed. The message "Registration at the 'FRITZ!VPN' service failed" is continuously displayed in the status bar of FRITZ!VPN.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Installing the latest version of the FRITZ!VPN software
- Call up our VPN service page in a web browser.
- Download the FRITZ!VPN software.
Important:Separate versions of the FRITZ!VPN software are available for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 8.1 / 8 / 7.
- Install FRITZ!VPN on the computer that is supposed to establish a VPN connection to the FRITZ!Box.
2 Uninstalling IPSec-VPN software from other manufacturers
If other IPSec VPN software is installed on the computer with FRITZ!VPN, as a rule you cannot use FRITZ!VPN.
Note:FRITZ!VPN binds an "intermediate driver" to the computer's network adapter; this driver filters all data packets to and from the FRITZ!Box's IP network. If you use additional IPSec-VPN software with intermediate drivers, the drivers can influence and interfere with each other.
- On the computer with FRITZ!VPN, uninstall all other IPSec-VPN software according to the instructions given by the respective manufacturer.
3 Mobile Broadband Driver is not supported
The FRITZ!VPN software currently cannot be used with the Mobile Broadband Driver for Windows 8 / 7 or Huawei ("HUAWEI Mobile Connect"). If the internet connection is established by a mobile broadband modem or a mobile broadband dongle that complies with the LTE or UMTS mobile standard, and the modem or dongle uses this driver, you cannot establish a VPN connection with FRITZ!VPN.
You can use the FRITZ!VPN software if the mobile broadband modem or mobile broadband dongle can also be used without a Mobile Broadband Driver:
- Configure the mobile broadband modem or mobile broadband dongle so that it uses a driver other than the Mobile Broadband Driver from Windows 8 / 7 or from Huawei, for example a "WAN-Miniport(IP)" driver.
Note:Refer to the manufacturer for information on using the mobile broadband modem or mobile broadband dongle with other drivers, for example consult the manual.