FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 310 Service - Knowledge Base
Cannot access the Internet over a wireless connection
A computer, smartphone, or other device connected to the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater cannot access the Internet. However, other devices connected to the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater can access the Internet over the wireless router (for example a FRITZ!Box).
One of the following error messages may be displayed in the "Network and Sharing Center" of the respective computer:
- "Access: Local only"
- "Access type: No Internet access"
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Enabling the wireless router's DHCP server
The wireless router's DHCP server assigns IP addresses to all network devices connected to the router. This ensures that the devices always obtain the correct IP settings required for Internet access and communication with other devices automatically:
Note:We used a FRITZ!Box as an example for configuration. Some FRITZ!Box settings are only displayed if the advanced view is enabled. Refer to the respective manufacturer for information on how to set up other routers, for example consult the manual.
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Network" or "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Configuring a network device as a DHCP client
To ensure that the network device always uses the correct IP settings, make sure that it is configured as a DHCP client (this is the standard setting for most devices and operating systems):
- Configure the network device to automatically obtain IP settings (DHCP).
3 Configuring the computer's firewall
A firewall can interfere with the communication between the computer and the wireless router:
- Configure the firewall so that it allows connections from the computer to the wireless router. Refer to the manufacturer of the firewall for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
4 Installing the latest driver for the wireless network adapter
- Install the latest driver for your computer's wireless network adapter or the latest software for the respective device.
Note:Often the Windows Update does not offer all of the latest device drivers. Therefore, use the drivers from the manufacturer's website (for example Intel, Broadcom, Realtek).
You can find the latest drivers for the FRITZ!WLAN Sticks in our download area.